Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day- A thought and some May 12th history




My Mother
Who fed me from her gentle breast,
And hush’d me in her arms to rest,
And on my cheek sweet kissed press’d?

My Mother
When sleep forsook my open eye,
Who was it sang sweet hushaby,
And rock’d me that I should not cry?
My Mother

Who sat and watch’d my infant head
When sleeping on my cradle bed,
And tears of sweet affection shed?
My Mother.

When pain and sickness made me cry,
Who gaz’d upon my heavy eye,
And wept for fear that I should die?
My Mother.

Who dress’d my doll in clothes so gay’
And taught me pretty how to play,
And minded all I had to say?
My Mother

Who ran to help me when I fell,
And would some pretty story tell,
Or kiss the place to make it well?
My Mother

Who taught my infant lips to pray
And love God’s holy book and day,
And walk in wisdom’s pleasant way?
My Mother.

And can I ever cease to be
Affectionate and kind to thee,
Who wast so very kind to me,
My Mother?

Ah! no, the thought I cannot bear,
And if God please my life to spare
I hope I shall reward thy care,
My Mother.

When thou art feeble, old and grey,
My healthy arm shall be thy stay,
And I will soothe thy pains away,
My Mother.

And when I see thee hang thy head,
‘Twill be my turn to watch they bed,
And tears of sweet affection shed,
My Mother

For God who lives above the skies,
Would look with vengeance in his eyes,
If I should ever despise,
My Mother

Ann Taylor

And now a little history brought to you courtesy of  Wikipedia


254 – Pope Stephen I succeeds Pope Lucius I as the 23rd pope.
1191 – Richard I of England marries Berengaria of Navarre who is crowned Queen consort of England the same day.
1264 – The Battle of Lewes, between King Henry III of England and the rebel Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester, begins.
1328 – Antipope Nicholas V, a claimant to the papacy, is consecrated in Rome by the Bishop of Venice.
1551 – National University of San Marcos, the oldest university in the Americas, is founded in LimaPeru.
1689 – King William's WarWilliam III of England joins the League of Augsburg starting a war with France.
1780 – American Revolutionary War: In the largest defeat of the Continental ArmyCharleston, South Carolina is taken by British forces.
1862 – U.S. federal troops occupy Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
1863 – American Civil WarBattle of Raymond: two divisions of James B. McPherson's XVII Corps (ACW) turn the left wing of Confederate General John C. Pemberton's defensive line on Fourteen Mile Creek, opening up the interior of Mississippi to the Union Army during the Vicksburg Campaign.
1881 – In North AfricaTunisia becomes a French protectorate.
1926 – UK General Strike 1926: In the United Kingdom, a nine-day general strike by trade unions ends.
1926 – The Italian-built airship Norge becomes the first vessel to fly over the North Pole.
1932 – Ten weeks after his abduction Charles Jr., the infant son of Charles Lindbergh is found dead in Hopewell, New Jersey, just a few miles from the Lindberghs' home.
1935 – Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith (founders of Alcoholics Anonymous) meet for the first time in Akron, Ohio, at the home of Henrietta Siberling.
1937 – The Duke and Duchess of York are crowned as King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irelandat a ceremony in Westminster Abbey.
1941 – Konrad Zuse presents the Z3, the world's first working programmable, fully automatic computer, in Berlin.
1942 – Holocaust: 1,500 Jews are sent to gas chambers in Auschwitz.
1949 – The Soviet Union lifts its blockade of Berlin.
1955 – Nineteen days after bus workers went on strike in Singaporerioting breaks out and seriously impacts Singapore's bid for independence.
1955 – Austria regains its independence as the Allied occupation following World War II ends.
1965 – The Soviet spacecraft Luna 5 crashes on the Moon.1968 – Vietnam WarNorth Vietnamese and Viet Cong forces attack Australian troops defending Fire Support Base Coral, east of Lai Khe in South Vietnamon the night of 12/13 May, resulting in heavy casualties on both sides and beginning the Battle of Coral-Balmoral.
1981 – Francis Hughes starves to death in the Maze Prison in a Republican campaign for political prisoner status to be granted to Provisional IRA prisoners.
1982 – During a procession outside the shrine of the Virgin Mary in Fátima, Portugal, security guards overpower Juan Fernandez Krohn before he can attackPope John Paul II with a bayonet. Krohn, an ultraconservative Spanish priest opposed to the Vatican II reforms, believed that the Pope had to be killed for being an "agent of Moscow".
2002 – Former US President Jimmy Carter arrives in Cuba for a five-day visit with Fidel Castro becoming the first President of the United States, in or out of office, to visit the island since Castro's 1959 revolution.
2008 – An earthquake (measuring around 8.0 magnitude) occurs in Sichuan, China, killing over 69,000 people.
2008 – U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement conducts the largest-ever raid of workplace and arrests nearly 400 immigrants for identity theft and document fraud.

3 comments:

  1. Deb,
    Wishing you a very Happy Mother's Day!!
    Hope you have a wonderful week ahead, too :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Debbie. Hope your Mother's Day was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete