Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Today The Reading Frenzy celebrates Harlequin's More Than Words Award- meet the 2013 recipients and learn their stories





Those who know me well know how much I love Harlequin and all her brands so it pleases me today to celebrate the HARLEQUIN MORE THAN WORDS AWARD with you- you'll meet the 2013 recipients and be able to download for free two previous Award Novellas.

The Harlequin More Than Words Award for 2014 Nominations are open Through August 9th 2013







About:
Somewhere right now, a woman’s compassion is improving the quality of life in her community—not only for herself
but for those she cares about most.
With each act of kindness, each word of support, she is proving that heroines do exist. And at Harlequin we believe her story should be told!
We solicit nominations of women who have made extraordinary contributions to their communities. With your support, we hope to turn awareness into action, and mobilize others to become engaged and make a difference in their community.
Information detailing how readers can get involved in their own communities in projects related to the award recipients’ chosen causes will be available both in print and on our web site.
The Harlequin More Than Words program is responsible for the administration of Harlequin’s social responsibility initiatives dedicated to the well-being of women.
Mission and Objectives
The Harlequin More Than Words program aims to enhance the well-being of women. Our goals are to:
·       Raise awareness about worthy causes that are of concern to women
·       Provide financial assistance to these important charities
·       Engage employees, authors and readers and the general public in worthy causes and provide opportunities for them to make a difference

Here are the 2013 recipients­­––

2013 Recipients
Click on their names for more about the women and their causes


Jubilee Women’s Center



Goodie Two Shoes Foundation



Diller Community Foundation






Here’s their Novella;

Read an ExcerptBuy the Book

Contributing Authors

·       Sherryl Woods
·       Christina Skye
·       Pamela Morsi


    Here’s a link to all the previously issued More Than Words Novellas
·       
Download two free ebooks inspired by our 2010 More Than Words Award recipients.


Here's an interview with Sheila Roberts
a former author contributor

  

Sheila,
welcome to my blog, you were my guest when you released Better Than Chocolate in
October of last year.
I remember! Thanks for having me back again.

Sheila, you’re a previous author of one of these very inspiring novellas.
Can you tell us what it meant to you to be able to write one of these women’s
stories?
It was a thrill to be able to, in some small way, help a worthy cause. Of course,
I write for a living, but I love being able to also put my training as a writer to use
for something more than a paycheck. 


The Novella was called Good Neighbors (you can download it for free at B&N
and Amazon.
Can you tell us what it was about?
This particular tale is set in my fictional town of Icicle Falls, and centers around a
man determined to help kids and a young widow with a son who’s trying to make a
new start. And a cabin that both of them think they own!


Did you get to meet the recipient you wrote about?
I had the chance to meet Sally Spenser, the power behind Youth Assisting Youth,
via phone. She’s a dedicated and inspiring woman, determined to help at risk youth.
After visiting with her I was definitely pumped to write the novella.


Can you tell us how the authors are chosen?
I’m afraid I can’t help you on that. I’m not sure how authors are picked for this project.
I only know I felt honored to be one of them.


How long has Harlequin been doing this?
I believe the program was established in 2003. So, needless to say, many deserving people
have been helped! I think this is a truly wonderful program and it says a lot about my
publisher that they’re willing to invest time and money in helping others.


Will you be on the rotation in the next year or so?
I’m sure Harlequin will want to give other authors a chance to participate.

Tell us what you’re working on now.
Right now I’m enjoying seeing my newest release “What She Wants” out in stores.
This is the third book in the Icicle Falls series and it follows a group of poker buddies
who are all trying to fix their woman problems by using romance novels as textbooks.
Great fun! (Said she modestly.) I just turned in book four for this series and am about to
start on book five. 


Sheila thank you so much from a huge fan of yours and of Harlequin. It’s so
inspiring when a company gives something back like this wonderful program.
Good luck to you in all your future endeavors.
I agree! And thanks again for having me.









2 comments:

  1. This is such a great program, lovely interview and of course I downloaded them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one of the many reasons I'm a Harlequin Addict
      thanks for the post Kim
      ps. I sure hope you're feeling better :( you poor baby
      xoxo
      deb

      Delete