Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Interview with author John Rector about his new release Out Of The Black

Today I welcome to The Reading Frenzy award winning author John Rector who is chatting today about his new novel available today, Out Of The Black. When I asked him to share his personal journey to authordom he said–"...I bought the audio book of Stephen King’s memoir, On Writing, for the drive. I listened to the entire thing, and that night I went down to the lobby of the hotel with a notebook and started writing. I think I was 30 at the time, and I’ve never looked back." Read the rest of his answer to this and much more below!




  • ISBN-13: 9781477805046
  • Publisher: Thomas & Mercer




Overview:
To keep the light of his life, he’ll have to do some dark things.
After Matt Caine loses his wife in a car accident, all he has left is his daughter, Anna. But just as the little girl—who survived the accident—finally starts thriving, Matt’s former in-laws threaten to take her away via a bitter custody battle. Desperate to keep Anna and in debt to some dangerous local thugs, Matt has no good options. But he does have Jay, one very bad friend.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Hi John, Welcome to The Reading Frenzy.
Happy to be here.

Tell us a little about your new novel Out Of The Black.
Out if the Black is the story of Matt Caine, an ex-marine who lost his wife in a car accident and is now raising his daughter alone. He’s broke, out of work, and at the end of his rope. So when he’s approached by an old friend asking him to help kidnap the wife of a prominent businessman, he doesn’t see any way he can say no, and eventually he agrees. Of course, nothing is as it seems, and things quickly spiral out of control.

The premise is a mixture of interesting plot angles.
Where did the idea come from?
I have no idea what sparked the original idea. All I remember is that I was sitting on my couch one minute, and the next minute I had half the book in my head. I was writing Already Gone at the time, so I pulled out a notebook and wrote the outline for the first fifteen chapters. Then I forgot about it for about a year until I was ready to start work on a new book.

When you start a new novel do you already know how it ends?
Not usually. I knew how The Cold Kiss was going to end, and I know how the new book I’m working on now is going to end, but the rest have been a surprise.

Who is the first person besides you to read your manuscript?
My Wife is my first reader.

Your novel The Cold Kiss has been optioned for a feature film. Congratulations!
Do you know how closely the film follows the book plot?
Will you have any role in the production?
Thank you. I’ve seen the script and think it’s wonderful, but how the film is going to turn out is still an unknown. I have faith in the people who have the option, but things don’t always work out the way you hope they will. I’m optimistic, though.
As far as me having a role in the production, I hope not. I’m curious, of course, but I’m not a filmmaker, nor do I want to be. I’d love to see the book made into a movie because I love movies, and it would be a blast to see my characters on the screen, but I don’t have a strong sense of ownership when it comes to film. The books are all mine, and I’m satisfied with that.

In a previous interview you mentioned that you didn’t write full time.
Has that changed?
I’ve been writing full time now for over a year. It was a big change, and it took some getting used to, but I’m a bit more settled now.

You’re not only a novelist but also an award winning short story writer.
Was there a particular catalyst to your becoming an author?
Boredom, basically. I moved from Denver to Omaha in my late 20’s, and it was somewhat of a shock. I’d been a musician since I was a kid, but I’d burnt out on that scene and wanted to try something new. I’d always been an avid reader, but I never tried writing myself. That was always something other people did. Then my girlfriend at the time (later, my wife) and I took a trip back to Colorado, and I bought the audio book of Stephen King’s memoir, On Writing, for the drive. I listened to the entire thing, and that night I went down to the lobby of the hotel with a notebook and started writing. I think I was 30 at the time, and I’ve never looked back.

What do you enjoy reading?
Right now I’m reading a lot of non-fiction and old SF novels, but I’ll read anything that keeps my interest.


Who are some of your favorite authors?
Ira Levin, James M Cain, Charles Willeford, Stephen King, Charles Bukowski, Larry Brown, Walter Tevis, Charles Beaumont, and Richard Matheson.

John will you be hosting any signing events for the new novel?
I’ll be signing at Bouchercon in Albany this year, and at the Iowa City Book Festival. I’d like to add some later dates this winter in warmer cities, but those are still up in the air.

Thanks for taking the time to chat with us. Good luck with Out Of The Black.
My pleasure. Thank you for having me.

 Connect with John Twitter - Goodreads













LinkShare_125x125ButtonV2

1 comment:

  1. Great interview, this is a genre that I enjoy and congrats on the film.

    ReplyDelete