Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Sophia Rose Reviews - Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped by Annette Marie

 





Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped by Annette Marie

#3 Guild Codex: Demonized

Urban Fantasy

Publisher:  Dark Owl Fantasy

Published:  4.3.20

Pages:  336

Rating: 4.5 stars

Format: ebook

Source:  KU borrow

Sellers:  Amazon

ADD TO: GoodReads 


GoodReads Synopsis:

I thought I understood power.

My parents taught me that magic attracts equal danger, and everything I've seen since becoming a demon contractor confirms it. I've witnessed how power twists and corrupts--and I've tasted power no human should wield.

I thought I knew greed.

Ambition and avarice drove my family into hiding. My parents died for someone else's greed. I've never hunted anything in my life, but now I'm hunting their killer--with my demon's help.

I thought I'd seen evil.

But with each step closer to my parents' murderer, I'm uncovering a different sort of evil, piece by hidden piece. I've stumbled into an insidious web that silently, secretly ensnares everything it touches. My demon and I came as the hunters...

...but I think we might be the prey.

--
Author's Note: The Guild Codex includes two series, Demonized and Spellbound, which can be read and enjoyed all on their own; however, this book contains spoilers for Demon Magic and a Martini (Spellbound #4). If you were thinking about giving Spellbound a try, I recommend reading it first.

 

Sophia Rose's Review:


Robin, shiny new demon contractor, and Zylas, mysterious and powerful demon are still on the hunt for the man who stole the pages of the Grimoire and has dangerous plans involving demons.  Annette Marie’s Guild Codex urban fantasy world continues to enthrall, keep me strapped in for the tight and twisting ride, and then has me off to grab the next series installment.

 

Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped is third in the Demonized sub-series and eleventh in the overall Guild Codex Universe.

 

 I appreciate the Books of My Heart readalong that encouraged me to read all the Guild Codex series as one rather than four separate series.  And, never more so than for this book because the events were running parallel to the Spellbound sub-series’ Druid Vices and a Vodka that came just before. 

As a reader, I understood what was going on in this one so much better having read that one first.  Tori and Robin shared moments working together and also worked quite separately, but they are really the flip-side of each other’s stories right now.  In fact, Ezra Rowe, a regular in the Spellbound series played a huge role in this book when he partnered with Robin and Zylas on her case and there were some pretty big reveals for both of them in this one.

 

But, back to the overall summary:

Robin got back her mom’s grimoire in her last big adventure and is trying to translate it, but keeps getting pulled in to translating one of the earlier caretakers of the book’s notes.  This past ancestor had a contract with a demon from Zylas’ house and their situations were very similar.  Robin is frustrated because, though they have had a dynamic moment of combining their power and sharing a telepathic connection, she and Zylas have been unable to replicate that since.  She doesn’t want to believe what Zylas tells her.  Because she won’t open herself to him, he can’t trust her enough to extend the magical connection between them.  In fact, she’s quite troubled and embarrassed by her attraction to the demon because he is a demon and then he doesn’t plan to stick around if she can find a way to send him back home.  She wants to get into his mind, but doesn’t want him to get into hers and this imbalance won’t allow them to have a true partnership right when they need it most.

 

Claude, the betrayer of her uncle and growing threat to all the guilds let alone her family, is planning something huge.  A new powerful albino mage has magic that even her demon can’t fight against even with Ezra the demon mage and his demon partnering.  There is still Claude’s powerful First House demon running loose.  They have to find the powerful demon artifact that went missing the night Tori and her mage friends helped her and Zylas fight the demon in the park and they have to get the missing pages back from her mother’s grimoire to be able to stop Claude.

 

A fun crossover moment when Robin encounters the pair from the Warped series is a light note in an otherwise tension-wrought book of relationship struggles and big danger action moments.

 

So much is coming to a head that I am on the edge of my seat for what comes next for all the Guild Codex characters, relationships, and plot threads.  You really don’t want to pass this series by Urban Fantasy lovers.

 

 


Author Bio:

Annette Marie is the best-selling author of over thirty books, including the expansive urban fantasy series The Guild Codex, epic urban fantasy series Steel & Stone, and romantic fantasy trilogy Red Winter.

A 2015 Goodreads Choice Awards Finalist in Fantasy and an Amazon Charts Bestseller, Annette has sold over 2 million books. Her books have been translated into French, German, Polish, Ukrainian, and Russian, with readers coming back again and again for her addictive blend of fast-paced adventure, tantalizing forbidden romance, and unforgettable characters.

Annette lives in the frozen winter wasteland of Alberta, Canada (okay, it’s not quite that bad) with her husband and their furry minions of darkness. When not writing, she can be found elbow-deep in her garden or an art project while blissfully ignoring all adult responsibilities.

To find out more about Annette and her books, visit www.annettemarie.ca

 


 Sophia’s Bio:

Sophia is a quiet though curious gal who dabbles in cooking, book reviewing, piano-playing, and gardening. Road trips and campouts, museums and monuments, restaurants and theaters are her jam. Encouraged and supported by an incredible man and loving family. A Northern Californian transplant to the Great Lakes Region of the US. Lover of Jane Austen, Baseball, Cats, Scooby Doo, and Chocolate.

As a lifelong reader, it was inevitable that Sophia would discover book blogs and the joy of blog reviewing. Sophia is a prolific reader and audiobook listener which allows her to experience so many wonderful books, authors, and narrators. Few genres are outside her reading tastes, but her true love is fiction particularly history, mystery, sci-fi, and romance. Though, sorry, no horror or she will run like Shaggy and Scooby.

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/sophia.rose.7587

Twitter: https://twitter.com/sophiarose1816

GoodReads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/13418187.Sophia_Rose


No comments:

Post a Comment