Monday, July 2, 2012

Review of One Mountain Away by Emilie Richards


One Mountain Away
Emilie Richards
Mira Books
ISBN13:9780778313557
480 pages

Emilie Richards has always given me a sense of completion when I’ve finished one of her novels, she has a unique way of telling a story and this story is her 70th published novel, and a debut in a brand new series. What a grand accomplishment. Maybe it’s her perspective from being a minister’s wife, maybe it’s she was born with that storytelling spoon in her mouth, whatever it is this story is special, unique and very emotional. As I recall her past novels I remember laughter and I remember a certain way she gave me life lessons, I’ve seen her mature as a writer as she’s matured as a woman and all of those things culminate in this most amazing read. The story is one any of us women of a “certain age” can empathize with, with all of our accomplishments but especially our regrets, it’s what Emilie did with the regrets part that will always stay with me. Her characters are as in depth as if they were my neighbors or friends, even enemies and she takes time to establish each one in her or his own part of her tale. Her narrative is what I’ve come to expect from her, her quiet and calming words that tell of explosive situations that’s easy to read and understand, she brought me the sights, smells and sounds of her story and I saw each scene with only her dialogue needed for my guide. This is much more than a love story although there is certainly that as well, but it’s a lesson to us all that it’s never too late to change and to remember that memories are sometimes flawed by emotions.
If you like the writing of Karen White or Patti Callahan Henry you'll love Emilie Richards.
Ms. Richards I'm so looking forward to where you take this series from here and thank you for always taking me on a trip worth remembering.

I'm also proud to announce that Emilie has graciously agreed to be my featured author for the Barnes & Noble General Fiction forum's September group read, so please pre-order the book now below and join us when we read and discuss this wonderful piece of literature together.

Charlotte Hale has always had to be in control, little does anyone know it stems from  uncontrollable fear in her past. She’s done everything to get to where she is today, but she’s suddenly reminded of the costs she paid to get here. Now at a painful crossroads in her life she’s vowed to make amends, the trouble will be to convince those she needs that a leopard change her spots and the hope that she’ll have the time she needs to accomplish these difficult but important things.
Taylor has always relied on her father’s support ever since her mother’s words cut her heart out, but now at a crossroads of her own Taylor learns of her mother’s attempt to be a part of her and her daughter Maddie’s lives.
Ethan Martin is about to have a revelation when he sees his first ex-wife watching their grand-daughter from a bench in the park where she’s playing, is his heart willing to listen or has it become hardened to her voice.
Harmony Stoddard has escaped a hopeless situation at home only to find herself in the middle of another one, she’s about to meet a woman who will change her life. The question is will she recognize it for the miracle it is or will she let her past relationships rule her future ones too.
Reverend Analiese Wagner is going to be given an opportunity to practice what she preaches when she sees Charlotte sitting in an empty pew waiting for her.
With divine intervention and human tenacity this unlikely group will have the possibility to make a change for the better in not only their own lives but also their community, the question is will they recognize it as a gift or will they let what came before predict their futures as well.
Buy the book here visit the author’s website here


4 comments:

  1. I can hardly wait to read One Mountain Away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, Thank you for your comment. I'd love to have you read it with my forum at B&N. If you'd be interested here's a link to the book club and you can join for free.
    http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/bd-p/FictGeneral

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved all of Emilie's other books, can't wait for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, Hi thanks for the post. I too love Emilie I sure hope you get the novel and I'd love to have you join us at the B&N group read in September
    here's the link if you'd like to check it out

    http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/bd-p/FictGeneral

    Deb

    ReplyDelete