Wednesday, September 12, 2012

New Release Feature Reduced plus Q&A w/author Robin Tidwell


Q&A with Robin Tidwell
author of Reduced

Today we have a very special guest author talking about her debut novel Reduced, it’s
my pleasure to introduce my stepsister Robin Tidwell.

Robin welcome to the B&N.com General Fiction forum.

Debbie - Tell us a little about the novel
Robin - REDUCED is a story about what-ifs. What if the government continues on its present course? And what if that were amplified to the extreme? And what if one young woman was caught up in that turmoil and what if she refused to give up?
That’s it, in a nutshell. The human side of destruction and disease, relationships, and survival along with, of course, good versus evil.

Why apocalyptic fiction
I’m not entirely sure! I had this dream, of one of the scenes near the beginning of REDUCED, and I thought, sure, this could be a book. How to develop it was the question but, when Abby began to develop and evolve, the story just wrote itself. I certainly never sat down and said, “Okay, today I’m going to write…dystopian fiction! Yeah, that’s it!” Nope, it just happened.

This is your first novel but it’s not your first effort as a professional writer, could you tell us what got you started writing and what made you consider writing a novel.
When I was little, as in 3-4 years old, I was always scribbling “stories.” Then, about four decades ago if anyone’s counting, my grandmother told me she’d take me to see to Gone with the Wind – AFTER I read the book! I was eight years old. I read it, and I was hooked. I wanted to be Margaret Mitchell – well, and Scarlett!
So, in spite of dabbling in non-fiction – I’m published online and in print – I finally got around to the first book. And it totally is NOT the “great American novel” I had envisioned! Although that one has been started too.

Are you a reader, which genres and authors do you like
Oh yes! I read everything, and more than once. I like mysteries, and spy stories. And horror – and apocalyptic fiction, of course. I suppose all those King, Koontz, and Saul books I’ve read over the years have had more influence than I realized!

Do you belong to a writer’s group
why or why not
Yes, I do. Our bookstore, All on the Same Page, has a monthly writers’ seminar. There are usually 4-5 of us, talking, reading, giving advice and encouragement. We have a lot of fun. It actually started out early this year as a seminar for new writers, but evolved into more of a casual thing. We meet on the second Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m., and anyone is welcome.

What are you working on now
Right now, mostly promotion and marketing for REDUCED, plus events and things for the bookstore. But, yes, there is a sequel: REUSED. I’m hoping to have it finished and ready for publication by the end of the year.

Let’s leave writing behind for a while and tell us what would your dream vacation be
I really don’t care for traveling, that is, the actual travel part, so my dream vacation would start with being teleported – to Aruba. And of course, arriving with all my parts intact and attached in the right places!

Are you planning any more events or signings for your novel.
Oh yes! I’ll be signing in December at our store, and we’re having an authors’ party on October 6 there as well. I’ve been in touch with several local indie stores and of course, am hoping to appear at some local B&Ns. I’ve a number of interviews scheduled over the coming weeks as well.

Robin thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer some questions and good luck with your novel.

Visit Robin on her website here buy the book here visit her bookstore's website here






No comments:

Post a Comment