Monday, May 21, 2018

Interview with author Teagan Kearney

Keagan reached out to me a while ago and even though at the time I didn't have time to accept her review request her kind words about reviewers touched me and so I invited her on the blog to guest post. 
Enjoy!

The Adept Solutions series





Interview with Teagan Kearney
Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre?  If you write in more than one genre, how do you balance them?
I write mostly urban fantasy and science fiction because I love the opportunity these genres offer to create new worlds and even invent new species. In urban fantasy it’s great to mix magic and magical creatures into everyday life, and in science fiction, it’s the science which makes the magic.
I’ve also written crime fiction, chick-lit, and magic realism short stories and one commercial women’s fiction—which is now available as an audiobook. As long as I’m immersed in the story, balancing or swopping between genres isn’t difficult. Right now I’m working on two series, one is urban fantasy and the other is science fiction. I enjoy the change as it helps me approach each story with a fresh eyes..

What is your latest book and what were your goals and intentions in this book, and how well do you feel you achieved them? 
My latest book is Ancestral Secrets, Book Three in the Adept Solutions Series of Special Investigations for the Magickally Challenged. (Yes, it’s definitely one of the longest titles I’ve given a book!) As this is a series of novellas with the crime-solving team focused on catching evil perpetrators, each one is quite short and has a lot of action so there isn’t much space to get to know the characters. This last one is a little longer so I can focus more on character development. I think I achieved this to a certain extent, but the final decision about this is up to the readers.

What was the hardest part of writing this book? 
Mmm… figuring out every detail of how JB and his crew solved the crime, as it can’t be too easy or else there’s no mystery. Also making sure the plot didn’t have any holes. In the first two books in the series, JB visit different planes, but in this book, the story takes place entirely in the city of Tropolis.

What did you enjoy most about writing this book?
The crew of the Adept Solutions private detective agency are a bunch of misfits and oddballs and they fight and argue, but they also have strong bonds of affection and look out for each other. I have a lot of fun spending time with them. 

What inspires you? 
Ooh, that’s a hard question. To be honest, I’m not sure I am inspired. I do know I still have lots of stories bursting to get out and I enjoy writing them down and sharing them with readers more than anything else. So as long as I can keep doing it, I’m happy.

If you ‘d like to check out my books, here’s a link to my author page: http://amzn.to/1Wrp5zz
I loved answering these questions, Debbie, and thank you so much for the opportunity.
Some of Teagan's other works

Veiled Planet (Hidden World Trilogy Book 1)


Stars & Ashes (The Saoirse Saga Book 1)


Healer's Magic (The Kala Trilogy Book 1)




Connect with Teagan- Amazon - Goodreads-Twitter
Meet Teagan:I was born in London of Irish parents, and I write in several genres including paranormal urban fantasy and commercial women's fiction. I also write science-fiction, magic realism, crime, and romance stories. 
I love traveling, enjoy photography, drawing, theater, film, reading, and when it's not raining, I like to walk. I garden when the sun shines. I'm also compiling an ever increasing bucket list of places I want to visit from Iceland to Australia.

28 comments:

  1. What a great interview. I love that Teagan is not sure that she is inspired by anything but has lots of stories to tell. Thanks for sharing Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Cyndy, and I'm definitely addicted to writing!

      Delete
  2. How did I not know about this author? Their books sound fun! Great interview like always Debbie. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali. Debbie is great host, and I'm real happy she gave me the opportunity to tell readers like yourself about my books. :)

      Delete
  3. I love UF, but I do not think I could write it...dunno why, but I sure love reading it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an avid UF fan, too, and it took me a while before I started writing it. Give it a try! :)

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've heard of this author before. I'll have to check her out. The big thing I noticed about these covers, all three guys are leaning to their right. LOL. Funny the things we notice sometimes. Great interview.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie, I'd love if it you did check the books out. I'm thinking this model's lean to the right is maybe a tick he has when he poses? Lol. Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this author yet. Sounds like I should though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to meet Teagan and learn about her books. I think I could get into these with the paranormal and mystery elements. And, the sci-fi sounds fab, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Sophia. Writing books is half the equation, finding readers like yourself is the other half. :)

      Delete
  7. I like the sound of the urban fantasy series and of course science fiction. Thanks for introducing us to the author and her works. I wonder if she intends to write full-length urban fantasy series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kimberly. Thanks for asking about an urban fantasy series, and I have already written one! The Kala Trilogy (Healer's Magic, Vampire's Bane & Demon's Nemesis) was my first venture into UF, and I absolutely loved writing these books. :)

      Delete
  8. Great interview. I heard about this author, but never got the chance to try any of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great interview. It’s always kinda neat to see what the behinds the scenes of writing are. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenea. It's generous bloggers like Debbie who make sharing our backstories with readers a delight. :)

      Delete